Thursday, December 22, 2016

Merry Christmas From The MTC

Merry Christmas everybody!

I wish I could be with you guys but focusing my attention on the Savior and the meaning of Christmas has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.  HAPPY SILVER RUSH!  I'm not sure what the total was but I'm proud of you guys for donating your time, money, and efforts to such an amazing cause.  There truly are no better examples to me than those of you back home.  Anyways, I'm going to be straight forward and say that this has been the hardest week of my life.  I got out of my car and cried really hard while saying goodbye to my family.  However, the second I turned that corner and entered the MTC building to receive my name tag, it just felt so right and my attitude changed immediately.  I was so happy to be a missionary and ready to serve the Lord.  After getting settled into the MTC I was introduced to my companions: Elder Casares and Elder Brunson.  Elder Brunson has been like a brother to me from the moment I walked into the room and introduced myself to him.  We joke around and study together, we stay up late talking about life when we can't sleep, I absolutely love the guy.  Think of everything you would want in a perfect companion:  Open minded, respectful, loving.

The first few days of the MTC had to have been the worst days of my life.  No English, no family or friends, stressful schedules, the whole package.  The motto here at the MTC for new missionaries is "Make it to Sunday".  Boy were they right.  On Sunday I had the opportunity to convert my first soul ... it was soul (BUCKLE UP WE'RE GETTING DEEP HERE FOLKS).  We had an amazing devotional given by the Piano guys and it really brought motivation to me to be the best missionary possible.  We also watched a video of Elder Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve talking about the Character of Christ.  In that talk he stated to "get over yourself, a mission isn't about you".  Boy did those words hit me hard.  A mission really isn't about me, it's about the people in the Philippines and all over the world who have been waiting to know the truth to live with their Heavenly Father again. Thinking about the people in the Philippines give me extra motivation to work hard on the language and on learning the Doctrine.  Since then I have been so happy in the MTC, especially on P Day when I get to hear from you guys through my email (shout out to those of you who sent me amazing emails to log on to I love you guys so much).  I'm loving it here now, I can feel the spirit so often, speak Tagalog pretty well, and everything is just clicking.  Isn't it beautiful how the Lord always looks out for us?  He wants us to struggle and learn for ourselves yet He never lets us hit rock bottom. He will be there to pick us up whenever we ask him to.

Last experience that I would like to share with you guys is one that really helped me through this week.  The second day I was here I was feeling very unfocused and a little homesick missing you guys back home.  I prayed to the Lord to help me stay focused when I need to and right then and there he answered my prayer.  The Branch President pulled me out of class and told me that Heavenly Father has prompted him to assign me as our District Leader.  Heavenly Father knows me so well, more work has really taken my mind off of how much I miss your beautiful faces.  I love leading and representing our district it's such an honor and a blessing.  They are so amazing and I will tell you more about them in future emails.  Thank you guys for your love and support MERRY CHRISTMAS I LOVE YOU.

-Elder Burdeos

P.S. Expect another email from me a little bit later today, the computer lab we are in can't upload the photos we took so we are moving to another one to upload our photos.





No comments:

Post a Comment